lifespan development in class

April 21, 2012

Late Adulthood sex

Filed under: Uncategorized — richardh1405 @ 8:31 am

OK, so nobody has ever accused me of being smart and knowing when to leave well enough alone. I wonder how we’ve come to a position that people in late adulthood don’t have sex or that it somehow becomes gross at a certain point? Reactions in course room to this topic. I realize it wasn’t until a few years ago I finally figured out my parents had sex more than three times ( 1 brother and 1 sister).  But it strikes me as odd that all of a sudden the rules of young or early adolescence comes back in late adulthood in a morbid kind of way.

What happened to sex being hot? Passionate? Fun? Or “because we could”? Oops, your 65 now you have to stop having those feelings! Brings me to a memory of an old catch phrase; “Eggs, not just for breakfast anymore” ( I think), a bit twisted; “SEX, not just for procreation anymore.” Sexual relations is a beautiful thing, and to render our judgments on whether personal choices of others as to how, when, where, and even how old is acceptable in my mind is wrong. If Abner and Gretta want to go off and get their “grove on” so be it. OK, “grove on” is dated. Point is if we can accept sexual relations in late adolescence as experimentation and the finding of one’s sexual identity, why is it so gross to continue to explore and practice things we have found enjoyable over a lifetime in late adulthood?

Reading Chapter 17 had become depressing for me, but lets put another item in the positive column.

11 Comments »

1. I agree with your thoughts on this, I don’t think people were “grossed out” in class, I think it was more off so where we were just surprised with it. Thinking that as the years go on, we “slow” down in that area and that topic doesn’t linger much in our heads with age. But it all makes sense that the age doesn’t matter, we are humans and I believe we in a way live off of it. (well you know what I mean)It is just the way our minds are created and bodies desire weather we are 23,65,or 86 years of age. The only thing that I found surprising was the nursing home, and the STD’s in the facilities. But all in all, well said Richard.

chelsea1405 — April 21, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

2. I’m guessing it has a lot to do with our obsession with “beauty” in our culture. Most younger people don’t like to think of people with wrinkles and sagging skin having sex. I’ve mentioned to a few of my friends (mostly in their 20′s) over the past few years that I hope my parents still have sex. I would say at least 90% immediately said something along the lines of, “Eww. I like to think my parents never get naked.” I also mentioned something to a co-worker about the STI “epidemic” in nursing homes/assisted living facilities. He had the same gross out reaction. I’m sorry, but if someone makes it to his/her 80′s or 90′s and still wants to and is able to have sex, GO FOR IT!

lindsayb1405 — April 22, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

3. I personally tried to block the thought that my parents actually had sex besides the times that they did when they concieved my siblings and I. I have a friend that her mother would talk about the crazy sex she had last night and it didn’t bother me. I think where it gets people is connecting a certian age group and to the people it would correlate in your life. For example if i would of said think of couples in their 70′s having sex, I would think of my own grandparents.

jessicaw1505 — April 23, 2012 @ 4:01 am

4. I like your take on elderly sex. With all the aches, pains, and problems of old age, that fact that many can and do still have sex past 60 is a relief.

donna1405 — April 23, 2012 @ 2:46 pm

5. I think I share the same ideas with you guys except for the fact that elderly people need to check with their doctors in order to avoid those heart attacks that do happen because grandma and grandpa must have sex.

Nyuga T 1405 — April 24, 2012 @ 12:58 am

6. I think its ok for older couple to stay have, because they are more educated and more responsible when it come to the topic.

Edwinaj 1045 — April 24, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

7. People need to realize that no matter the age, that most of the time people will have sex. Maybe until the day they die. I bet some people hope that’s the last thing they experience before they pass away. Then to some, that’s a way to “Die Happy.” It was shocking to hear about nursing homes/assisted living facilities like Lindsay was saying… I didn’t think residents would be like that.. but hey.. they do what makes themselves happy.

nicoles1405 — April 24, 2012 @ 6:42 pm

8. I deff. was not grossed out or anything. Sex especially in a marrige should go on for ever! Of course I do not want to think of my parents having sex, especially since i just moved back home.. but its a part of a marrige. I agree with LindsyB i feel like everyone thinks of older couples having sex is just gross because of aging.

angelab1405 — April 24, 2012 @ 6:55 pm

9. I was not grossed out by this at all. This is a natural part of of life whether your 18, 48, or 78. I think the only reason why people thinks this is gross, is because everyone pictures sweet old grandma and grandpa or mom and dad and thinks this part of life should be over. I know we have all thought this when we were younger or are currently still young. The thing that surprised me the most I think like many others, was the rate of STD’s in nursing homes and probably retirement communities as well. I never thought it, because I like some others thought that most people were in there to die and didn’t have much functioning left. I’m sure one day i will be hearing the same thing, but hopefully as time passes and people get educated about this matter that these stigmas will go away.

benl1405 — April 24, 2012 @ 11:07 pm

10. that was very strange. I remember when i was younger there was a girl who told me that all our parents had to have sex in order for us to come into the world and i just didn’t grasp my mind around that i just though that there is no way my parents had sex. that was my story and i stuck to it, that’s the story i tell myself all the time and to have the thought that they do it all through out out life is just weird for me because i am thinking they are old they should be knitting sweaters and playing golf or something.

winfridab1405 — April 25, 2012 @ 10:06 am

11. It was hard for me to believe this actually since I work in a nursing home and well aware that sex doesnt not occur…most be more when they are little younger..assisted living polly have happen much more frequently. Though we have had couples share room, so there is a possiblity. If it sex were to occur in my work,i think some staff maybe freaked out by and may try to stop them, since it is definately dangerous to their older bodies.

amandam1405 — May 1, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL